If you read my post on How To Release The Need For Control, you might be interested in a visualisation technique I found from The Sedona Method, which I’ve adapted for my own purposes below.
The Sedona Method is a system that helps you release limiting thoughts and beliefs and gets you observing your thoughts more, rather than participating in them. You can find out more here.
In the meantime, if you’re having problems letting go of the need for control, have a go at the exercise below - it shouldn’t take you more than 15-20 minutes.
- Take a deep breath and bring your focus to your heart.
- Call to mind whatever it is you feel you need to control.
- Rather than going down the normal path of resisting the thoughts that come up (remember, what we resist, persists), can you welcome whatever the emotional and physical feelings are that arise?
- Let the feelings/images/emotions/sounds/sensations fully be there inside you.
- Now – can you let it go? (My personal addition at this point is to visualise putting all those feelings, images and sensations inside a big helium balloon – any colour you like. Then, imagine holding a big pair of shiny silver scissors. See those issues in that balloon and say to yourself, ‘I’m going to let this go now’, and then cut the string of the balloon and see it float up and away into a beautiful blue sky. At the same time notice feeling as if a weight has been lifted from you, as you realise it’s not necessary for you to dedicate your energy to that issue any more.
Did you feel some lessening of resistance to the need to hang on to control of that issue? Repeat this exercise as many times as you need and each time keep note of how much your resistance has lessened.
No related posts.